Post Prominence is a different type of taxonomy from Categories, Tags, and Series. Prominence has to do with how and where posts are displayed on the homepage and any archive or landing pages.
You can use Post Prominence to assign a post for featured display in various parts of your site. The default Post Prominence options will vary depending on the settings in Appearance > Theme Options > Layout. For example, if you assign a post to Homepage Featured it will display more prominently on the homepage and category pages:
Default Post Prominence Terms
- Top Story: If you are using the Newspaper or Carousel optional homepage layout, add this label to a post to make it the top story on the homepage
- Featured in Category: This will allow you to designate a story to appear more prominently on category archive pages.
- Featured in Series: Select this option to allow this post to float to the top of any/all series landing pages sorting by Featured first.
- Footer Featured Widget: If you are using the Footer Featured Posts widget, add this label to posts to determine which to display in the widget.
- Homepage Featured: If you are using the Newspaper or Carousel optional homepage layout, add this label to posts to display them in the featured area on the homepage.
- Sidebar Featured Widget: If you are using the Sidebar Featured Posts widget, add this label to posts to determine which to display in the widget.
You can edit these terms under Posts > Post Prominence:
It is rare that you will add additional terms to this taxonomy as they are typically added by your theme.
For more on how Post Prominence affects the display of posts on the homepage and elsewhere, see the Theme Options > Layout section of this guide.